Tour C2 - The University of Auckland Business School
Tour Departs at 1.30pm
The University of Auckland Buisness School
12 Grafton Road, Auckland Central
The University of Auckland Business School conducted an international design competition in order to fulfil the vision of a world class Business School. FJMT + Archimedia won the competition ahead of four of Australasia's pre-eminent architecture practices.
A composition of layered sinuous blades reaches out to embrace the community, providing a dramatic sculpture of reflection, illuminance and animation. Multiple layers of meaning and interpretation enrich the development providing a distinctive image for the School that places it within an international stage as a leader in teaching, research and scholarship.
Organic forms gather the activity and energy of the site into a major new public square, anchoring the building and reinterpreting the topography of the immediate sloping site and Auckland's volcanic harbour forms. The fluid and open expression provides a strong contemporary counterpoint to the traditional insular European buildings that characterised the beginnings of the University.
A powerful new symbol of research and knowledge is proposed, providing an appropriate international projection for the School that values excellence, innovation, progressiveness, and openness, whilst welcoming and embracing the local community. A subtle combination of a conventional panellised system of metal, timber and glass provides a sophisticated layered and breathable faade.
Low energy mixed-mode systems of environmental control are employed to provide appropriate environmental conditions throughout the complex. The energy fins provide shafts for the introduction of filtered natural light and ventilation deep within the interior volumes. A podium of basalt and soft landscaping anchors the proposal, providing a platform that adjusts the scale of the new development, to provide a significant raised urban square and main entry level to the Business School.
- Tour S1 - Mission Heights Primary School
- Tour S1 - Ormiston Senior College
- Tour S3 - BLENNZ School
- Tour S3 - Kia Aroha College
- Tour N1 - Albany Senior High
- Tour N1 - Wilson School
- Tour E1 - Stonefields Primary School
- Tour E1 - Elim Christian College Junior Campus
- Tour W1 - Hobsonville Point Primary School
- Tour W1 - Te Kura Kaupapa Maori o Te Kotuku
- Tour E3 - Epsom Girls Grammar School Performing Arts Centre
- Tour E3 - St Cuthbert’s College Performing Arts Centre
- Tour C1 - The University of Auckland Medical School
- Tour C1 - AUT School of Communications
- Tour E4 - Saint Kentigern School Jubilee Sports Centre
- Tour E4 - Saint Peter’s College Sports Complex
- Tour E4 - Auckland Grammar School Sports Complex
- Tour S2 - Alfriston College
- Tour S2 - Hingaia Peninsula School
- Tour E2 - Saint Kentigern College Science Centre
- Tour E2 - Saint Kentigern College MacFarlan Centre
- Tour E2 - Saint Kentigern College Arts and Technology Building
- Tour C2 - The University of Auckland Undergrad Labs
- Tour C2 - The University of Auckland School of Engineering
- Tour C2 - The University of Auckland Business School
- Tour W2 - Auckland Girls’ Grammar School
- Tour W2 - Avondale College
This page last updated: Tuesday 12 March 2013