Tour C2 - The University of Auckland Undergrad Labs
Tour Departs at 1.30pm
38 Princes Street, Auckland Central
After completing the Master Plan for the future development of The University of Auckland's Sector 300 Science Centre, Architectus was selected to undertake the vast project, which included the refurbishment of Building 303's Undergrad Labs Located at the corner of Princes and Wellesley Streets Building 303 occupies an important gateway position at the interface between the University of Auckland's City Campus and the CBD. Designed by the Ministry of Works and built in the 1960's the building fabric is largely original.
Two key requirements are addressed in the project brief; the realisation of the outcomes of the preceding Masterplanning process and the refurbishment of the existing building to incorporate the results of a planning exercise undertaken in consultation with the three Science Departments who will remain as building occupants.
In response our proposal identifies opportunities to create a new transparent permeable edge to the street featuring a new entry and enhancement of the adjacent streetscapes.
Within the tower levels new breakout spaces on each level encourage staff interaction and chance encounters between Departments. Externally these spaces are expressed as a transparent multi-storey 'balcony window' cantilevering beyond the primary faade to form a visual connection to Albert Park and the CBD beyond.
Energy efficiency is achieved through the use of sun-shading, solar water heating and a passive ventilation strategy which realises the potential of the buildings existing thermal mass.
- Tour S1 - Mission Heights Primary School
- Tour S1 - Ormiston Senior College
- Tour S3 - BLENNZ School
- Tour S3 - Kia Aroha College
- Tour N1 - Albany Senior High
- Tour N1 - Wilson School
- Tour E1 - Stonefields Primary School
- Tour E1 - Elim Christian College Junior Campus
- Tour W1 - Hobsonville Point Primary School
- Tour W1 - Te Kura Kaupapa Maori o Te Kotuku
- Tour E3 - Epsom Girls Grammar School Performing Arts Centre
- Tour E3 - St Cuthbert’s College Performing Arts Centre
- Tour C1 - The University of Auckland Medical School
- Tour C1 - AUT School of Communications
- Tour E4 - Saint Kentigern School Jubilee Sports Centre
- Tour E4 - Saint Peter’s College Sports Complex
- Tour E4 - Auckland Grammar School Sports Complex
- Tour S2 - Alfriston College
- Tour S2 - Hingaia Peninsula School
- Tour E2 - Saint Kentigern College Science Centre
- Tour E2 - Saint Kentigern College MacFarlan Centre
- Tour E2 - Saint Kentigern College Arts and Technology Building
- Tour C2 - The University of Auckland Undergrad Labs
- Tour C2 - The University of Auckland School of Engineering
- Tour C2 - The University of Auckland Business School
- Tour W2 - Auckland Girls’ Grammar School
- Tour W2 - Avondale College
This page last updated: Tuesday 12 March 2013