Tour E2 - Saint Kentigern College Arts and Technology Building
Tour Departs at 1.15pm
Saint Kentigern College
130 Pakuranga Road, Pakuranga
Warren and Mahoney won a limited design competition at Saint Kentigern College for an Arts and Technology complex that incorporates teaching resources into a purpose made building, designed to both complement and extend the existing school context.
The new building is part of the master plan for development (also developed by Warren and Mahoney) which incorporates a new girls school, extensions to science teaching facilities, a new administration building and a complete landscape plan. The new facility has been designed with environmental sustainability as a core client focus.
The site is located on the Northern fringe of the campus, possessing a dramatic relationship with the Tamaki River and the generous open space of the College's fields and river frontage. It is in this location as well that the collegiate structure of the original College gives way to open space.
Part of the design context of this project was also the College's organisational and cultural evolution as girls have been introduced to the school, and as changes in the curriculum required new facilities. In both these ways - location in space and time – the project's context is one of transition.
The building's composition in structure, form, and materiality respond to the transitional nature of its context, setting up connections to the earlier geometry, whilst at the same time opening out. Two simple forms both serve and are expressive of each curriculum section, with the atrium space between creating much-needed common ground and shelter for display, casual interaction, and events.
- Tour S1 - Mission Heights Primary School
- Tour S1 - Ormiston Senior College
- Tour S3 - BLENNZ School
- Tour S3 - Kia Aroha College
- Tour N1 - Albany Senior High
- Tour N1 - Wilson School
- Tour E1 - Stonefields Primary School
- Tour E1 - Elim Christian College Junior Campus
- Tour W1 - Hobsonville Point Primary School
- Tour W1 - Te Kura Kaupapa Maori o Te Kotuku
- Tour E3 - Epsom Girls Grammar School Performing Arts Centre
- Tour E3 - St Cuthbert’s College Performing Arts Centre
- Tour C1 - The University of Auckland Medical School
- Tour C1 - AUT School of Communications
- Tour E4 - Saint Kentigern School Jubilee Sports Centre
- Tour E4 - Saint Peter’s College Sports Complex
- Tour E4 - Auckland Grammar School Sports Complex
- Tour S2 - Alfriston College
- Tour S2 - Hingaia Peninsula School
- Tour E2 - Saint Kentigern College Science Centre
- Tour E2 - Saint Kentigern College MacFarlan Centre
- Tour E2 - Saint Kentigern College Arts and Technology Building
- Tour C2 - The University of Auckland Undergrad Labs
- Tour C2 - The University of Auckland School of Engineering
- Tour C2 - The University of Auckland Business School
- Tour W2 - Auckland Girls’ Grammar School
- Tour W2 - Avondale College
This page last updated: Tuesday 19 March 2013